A lot has happened in the last week. I'll try to condense the events into a short update. As you can surmise from the title of this post, we have had more good news and bad news. It seems like every time we make a little bit of positive progress, we get some bad news that sets us back.
First the good news: We have a consultation with Duke scheduled for October 11th & 12th! We will be meeting with a perinatologist, a pediatric neurosurgeon, and Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg (the doctor who does cord blood transfusions). Everyone at Duke has been so wonderful and helpful. I am thrilled to be working with them!
Now for the bad news: We received an email on Friday night from the Professor of Neurology & Pediatrics at Stanford University who previously reviewed our MRI images to give an opinion on Holoprosencephaly. (His opinion = The MRI did "NOT" show Holoprosencephaly). In the email, he said that he reviewed our images with a neuroradiologist, and while he and the neuroradiologist remain convinced that Claire does not have Holoprosencephaly, they saw "significant abnormalities" including: a small vermis, an enlarged retrocerebellar space, a smooth gyri (possibly caused by pressure from so much fluid on the brain) and a possible "unusal" layering pattern of the cortical mantle, which actually may not be abnormal depending upon the gestational age. That was all he wrote. No explanation of what any of these observations meant or what these parts of the brain even do. So now we are left to wonder.
I truly feel like I have reached my limit. I don't know how much more bad news I can take. The worst part seems to be the uncertainty. We have had so many doctors spit out terms, then fail to explain what they mean or how they may affect Claire.
That said, I feel grateful for all of the love, encouragement, and kindness that everyone has shown. I don't know where we would be without the messages, meals, and phone calls that we have received from our friends (old and new). I appreciate all those people who have expressed genuine concern and everyone who has offered advice, support and prayers. I feel like my faith is being tested every day. Please keep your prayers coming.
Amy - You are one STRONG woman - even though you may not feel like it now.
ReplyDeletePS - Sorry I could not meet with you guys Wednesday night - I hope Brad got the message that we would be in WR by 9pm. He wanted to have a late dinner - but we needed to be in middle ga by then. :-(
Hang in there - and I will now follow this blog to keep up with your progress.
I can completely relate to the Doctors not answering many of the questions that you currently have. In our experience with Lillian, her Neurosurgeon told me on our initial consult (the week before Lily was born) that they never know what they may encounter. That "normal" babies sometimes have a hard time during the birthing process.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you all!!!
I just had flashback memories of when I was pregnant with Cayman. It takes the breath right out of me. All the medical terms. All the bad news. The findings of new things. Where the questions outweigh the answers. All the uncertainties. It sure makes for a long, wearisome pregnancy. I'm thinking of you and praying fervently.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the letter you received. I would take it with you to duke and as the neurosugeon to explain it for you..and the uncertainty is truly no fun! Kristen is right.it sure makes for a worrisome pregnancy..keep your chin up..you have lots of people praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI received this via email this morning and instantly thought of "yall."
ReplyDelete"I am with you always." -Matthew 28:20
I am sorry to hear of this news. The uncertainty is the worst. I really think the doctors like to give patients the worst case scenario, which stinks because it makes it a lot harder to hope for "normal". Just know that you have tons of prayers coming your way.
ReplyDeleteIf you sent my daughter's MRI images to those docs they would say she is blind...
ReplyDeleteLove,
Parker and Amy
Every single day that Claire is in someone's thoughts and hearts is a blessing. The unknown is so hard to deal with (been there and done that with my daughter) and I know the freak out moments and the tears. But the encouraging words of everyone around me (and now you) should give you all strength and wings to make it through this time.
ReplyDeleteHold eachother tight and keep taking those steps forward.
Thinking of you often!
Judi (that crazy Sister-Mother of yours!)
Zoe, in our Bibles down here in Georgia, Jesus says, "I am with y'all always." Haha!
ReplyDeleteThanks to all of our new friends who have been where we are and are now here for us! Your support is very important to us and it helps us tremendously to see where you are in your lives now. Seeing pictures of y'all smile is great but the pictures of your kids smiling are the best!
The doctors will always give you the grimmest outlook possible. They feel it is their job. =( They said my Blake probably wouldn't make it to birth..I can't wait to chat with you on Thursday to tell you our news. His intelligence is now above average. Many keys to the equation though; God, Early intervention, Love, and Duke. Claire is a strong baby girl and so are you two. God Bless you!
ReplyDelete