The good news is that no new problems were detected. It's funny to think of this as a positive, but we have become so accustomed to hearing more bad news at each appointment that it is comforting to have left our appointment today feeling like we still have a grasp on Claire's condition.
A few other noteworthy tidbits from today's ultrasound:
- Claire is head-down. I forgot to ask the perinatologist if she's likely to stay this way or if she just happened to be chillin' out upside down for the moment. Either way, I thought it was interesting.
- Claire was moving around quite a bit. She kept waving her arms and hands in front of her - it was super-cute! I couldn't feel a thing, either, which makes me realize just how much movement of hers I don't feel.
All in all, a good day!
Hi, I know you have been bombarded with info from many people, but if you have time you can work your way backwards through our blog starting here:
ReplyDeletehttp://babypitman.blogspot.com/2009/02/follow-up-ultrasound.html
Just wanted to note that the docs thought our son had aqueductal stenosis as well, but the after birth MRI showed this was not the case (even though vents progressively got larger throughout his time in utero). As such, no shunt needed and he is developing on track if not ahead...
We will keep you in our prayers.
Neil, Beth and Iain
Thanks for sharing! What amazing story. I pray that we will have a similar happy ending.
ReplyDeleteWe appreciate your prayers.
I was wondering what the difference is between ventriculomegaly and hydrocephalus? I have never heard of ventriculomegaly myself before! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteIf I understand it correctly, hydrocephalus is when the baby's head expands due to the ventriculomegaly. For example, Claire's head is measuing at 25 weeks 4 days even though she is only 23 weeks 2 days. I may be wrong, but that is my impression. I think some people use the terms interchangeably.
ReplyDeleteVentriculomegaly just means enlarged ventricles (typically lateral vents measuring less than 15mm each). Hydrocephalus means there is an increase in pressure in the ventricles (two different measurements showing an increase - normally over 15mm). You really shouldn't have a Hydro diagnosis on a first visit b/c you should have two different measurements with an increase to be able to diagnose Hydro. And, yes the two terms are often use interchangeably even though there is a difference. Technically, you would not have medical intervention (shunt surgery) for a diagnosis of Ventriculomegaly and would for a diagnosis of Hydro. Clear as mud, right?
ReplyDeleteThe above comment is by me - Amy (Parker's Mom), by the way...
ReplyDeleteIn other words, I said the same thing as Brad, just in a different way. I just read little Ian's blog. What a blessing! He just had Ventriculomegaly - enlarged vents with no medical intervention necessary.
ReplyDeleteModern medicine is a blessing and a curse. With all this technology there are so many cases of Ventriculomegaly being diagnosed with improved ultrasound technology that were missed just 5 years ago. There are many people (normal people) walking around with enlarged vents that don't even know it.
Love from Parker and Amy
I've been wondering if I'm walking around with enlarged ventricles! I want to get my head scanned! LOL
ReplyDeleteI knew the first post was by you, Amy... I mean who else would know as much as you (except me) about ventriculomegaly and hydrocephalus?? Haha!
Ha ha! Brad forgot to mention that he offered to perform brain surgery on our perinatologist at last Tuesday's visit! He was asking so many questions about brain anatomy that it was clear he has been studying it quite closely.
ReplyDelete