One thing you must know about Claire is that we try our best to keep her fashionable. This usually isn't too hard, since she's so cute and all.
We try to make sure she always is dressed in the cutest of outfits (and thanks to grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, friends, and extended family, we've been largely successful); we try to style her hair with pretty bows; we've even been known to paint her toenails.
All of these things may seem superficial, but to us, they also make Claire more accessible. Little girls see her pretty outfits and compliment her (or us) on them. They admire her frilly bows and pretty hair. They see her sparkly pink nail polish and want their nails painted "just like hers."
I hope that when people look at Claire, they see the child and not the disability. As Claire's mom, I'm trying to make my hope a reality.
So, when we decided Claire would get a g-tube, I set out figuring out ways to "accessorize" it--to make it less intimidating to those who don't deal with feeding tubes on a daily basis.
I had heard other people mention g-tube covers, and after a quick web search and a couple of clicks, Claire was the proud owner of these:
Along with Claire's g-tube, we got an IV pole to hold her feeding pump. Not the most attractive item to have in your house, if you ask me.
But, with another quick web search and another couple of clicks, it's a little easier on the eyes! (I mean, what self-respecting toddler doesn't love a good heart / crown combo, right?!)
So, there you have it. That's how you rock a g-tube, Claire Bear style.





I love this! I especially love the heart cover!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I use a similar amazing-sense-of-style technique on Bertrand's behalf. He has a collection of hysterical t-shirts, dapper clothes, and ALWAYS amazing hair. It's the perfect ice breaker for strangers to speak with/compliment him. And even when people just stare, I *know* it's simply because they are overcome by his amazing good looks. Let's face it, who doesn't love it when their kid gets randomly admired? :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Claire! Work it, baby. :)