Claire says "I got this, peeps!"
Imagine winning an Olympic gold the day after scaling Everest and being elected President of the United States. That supposed feeling of excitement and joy doesn't begin to touch the elation that these moments bring.
Today I was treated to one of them.
For several months now, we have been working with Claire on switch activation. We hook different adaptive toys up to a button and try to get Claire to hit the button to make the toy do something. (Click on the link above to see some video of Claire in action.) Claire has long-understood the "cause and effect" relationship that switch toys are designed to teach. She totally gets that if she hits the switch, something will happen.
What she hasn't had a chance to show us just yet is that she understands she can use her switches to make choices.
Today, she finally got a chance to strut her stuff.
We put a CD player in front of her with 6 children's songs and asked her to hit the switch to make the music play. Each time she hit the switch, the player would skip to the next song. Over and over again she kept coming back to the same song:
The ants go marching one by one
Hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching one by one
Hurrah, hurrah
I have no idea why she was so drawn to this song, but by the third or fourth time she skipped through the other selections to hear it again, I was crying happy tears.
She gets it, she totally gets it.
And so do I.

Wow!!!! I know those moments :) Malcolm sat next to me on the sofa (ok, well, propped) one quiet night and his little right hand was in mine. I sang to him, and when I finished he started almost imperceptibly touching my hand with his fingers. I asked if he wanted me to sing another song. He got that wide eyed look, and moved his fingers again. For the next half an hour I sang and moved my hand to various distances from his right hand, and every time I finished singing he tried to find my hand with his. It was just what you said, Mount Everest, President, and Olympic gold :D
ReplyDeleteOh, Jennifer! What a wonderful experience. I can only imagine the sweetness between you two on that night. It's enough to make my heart burst!
DeleteYAY Claire!!!
ReplyDeleteI think she was drawn to this song because she interpreted it to be, The "Aunts" Go Marching....just sayin'!!!
ReplyDeleteAmy I just love that Claire is expanding her skills so much. I pray for continued surprises with things she accomplishes.
ReplyDeleteWow! WOW!!!! This is HUGE!!!!! I am so excited for Claire!
ReplyDelete