I have been dying to blog about this topic for a long time, and now, today, after reading a friend's blog, I've finally decided it's time.
Here goes.
Let me start with a confession. In our house, we have what we call "The List"--that never-ending list of personal tasks that looms over us day-in and day-out.
We have lights in our house that have been burned out since June. Dead plants. A car that we need to sell that has been sitting in our garage since December. (Any takers?) Flavored tongue depressors to buy on the recommendation of our speech therapist. Forms that need to be mailed off for Claire to start school in the fall.
And the longer these tasks sit on "The List," the longer I feel judged by those impacted by the tasks. The speech therapist. The early intervention services coordinator. Neighbors who see the dead plants in our yard.
Recently, I've started joking about "The List" to everyone who will listen. And as I have been doing so, a funny thing has happened. Other people confess that they have "lists," too. And not just special needs parents, but parents of typical children. People with no children.
It seems everyone has their own "list." Nobody has life under control. And this revelation has brought me so much comfort.
Writing my blog post about "The List" has been on my "list" for months. Today, it finally got written, and my "list" got one item shorter. I am sure it won't stay that way for long, but in the meantime, I will revel in the sense of accomplishment that one feels with crossing an item off of "The List."
No comments:
Post a Comment