In my last post, I wrote about the twists, turns and bumps we have encountered in building Claire's communication.
Yesterday was another example.
During speech therapy, Claire refused to participate. When her therapist attempted to play a computer game with her, Claire showed no interest. Despite repeated prompts, she would not hit her head switch, nor would she even look at the screen.
I was starting to wonder if she had forgotten how to operate the switch. It was kind of disheartening. Didn't she realize how important it was for her to learn how to use her switch? (And more significantly, how important it was to show her speech therapist she could do it?!)
As soon as the therapist brought out a doll, however, Claire perked up. She kept hitting her switch to make the doll dance.
Even though it is frustrating at times, I just love to see Claire exhibit behavior that is so "typical." It also has given me an opportunity to "learn Claire." Next time, when Claire refuses to participate in an activity, I won't immediately assume it is due to a lack of capability--I'll know it may just be a lack of desire, and I'll try a different one with her.
It's amazing that on this windy, twisty, bumpy Yellow Brick Road, even the steps that seem to take us backward are really moving us forward!
No comments:
Post a Comment