Sunday, January 26, 2014

Accessible Shower (And a Happy Surprise!)

We made our first home modification this month:  We updated our shower to make it accessible for Claire.

Up until now, we have been bathing Claire in her infant tub, but at 35 inches long, she is very close to outgrowing it.  We have a bath chair, but with only a shower in our upstairs bathroom, we didn't have a way to bathe Claire comfortably using the chair.  Additionally, Claire's hair is getting quite long, and rinsing it with a cup just wasn't cutting it any longer.

So, we finally decided to take the plunge.  Before Christmas, Brad and I went to our local home improvement store and looked at hand-held shower heads.  The set-ups we found ranged from $300.00-$500.00, not including installation.  With Christmas around the corner, we decided we would wait until the new year to take on the project.

A few weeks ago, I went back to the store to finally buy a hand-held shower head.  I had some Christmas money from my grandmother and parents, and I planned to use it towards the shower modification.  I was fully prepared to buy the shower head that day, but when I told the store rep what I was planning to do and why, he suggested something even better:   

A $30.00 shower head with 6 foot hose, sold at Wal-Mart.

I could not have been more thrilled! (And grateful!)  Brad headed to Wal-Mart a few days later and installed the shower head that evening.  

It has been amazing for Claire (and for me!)  It is so much easier to give her a bath, and she seems to love when I rinse her hair!

The best part is that I spent only $30.00, instead of the $300.00+ we were planning for!

So, if you are in the market for an accessible shower, check Wal-Mart!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...