My mother bought Claire an American Girl Bitty Baby for Christmas. At first, I wasn't sure how she would play with it, since she has limited use of her arms. As it turns out, Bitty Baby has been an excellent toy for Claire Bear.
We have been working on choice-making with Bitty Baby's clothes. We only have 4 outfits, but 4 is enough to allow Claire to choose between 2 outfits to change Bitty Baby into.
We have also been using Bitty Baby to talk to Claire about day-to-day activities, like changing clothes (and diapers), snuggling, and going to sleep.
Yesterday evening, for example, after changing Claire into her pajamas, Claire and I changed Bitty Baby into her jammies. I talked to Claire about how we dress Bitty Baby, using the same words I use when I dress her. ("Over the head," "put your arm through," "put your leg through."). Claire seemed very engaged in the process.
Who knew Bitty Baby could come in so handy for teaching life skills?!
No comments:
Post a Comment