Tuesday, March 4, 2014

PBGT


Yesterday, we started a new diet for CB--"Puree by g-tube"  (PBGT).   Up until now, we have been giving Claire Pediasure, a type of formula.

Over the past few years, Brad and I have met an increasing number of people who have converted to a "blenderized diet"--i.e., taking real food through their g-tubes--and their experiences encouraged us to try something similar with Claire.

Working with a nutritionist, we decided on a "PBGT" diet--basically, a blenderized diet without the blender.  It's supposed to be healthier for Claire and hopefully will provide her with a little variety in her intake.  Our nutritionist wrote a recipe based on Claire's caloric needs, making sure to include enough "wiggle room" for us to change things up.   And, as an added bonus, I was able to find all but one ingredient at our local grocery store!

On Sunday night, I mixed up Claire's first batch of PBGT:

  • Whole milk
  • Kefir
  • Infant cereal
  • Baby food - fruit
  • Baby food - veggie
  • Baby food - meat
  • Olive oil
  • Sugar 
  • Salt
  • A multi-vitamin (the only ingredient that has to be mail-ordered)
The directions were simple:  Dump everything into a pitcher and stir.    That's my kind of cooking!

So far, Claire has been tolerating her new diet well.  I am hoping this will be an easier (and cheaper) alternative to Pediasure.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...