- He sat down with us and explained Claire's condition, using a plastic model of the brain.
- When he realized that we had "read up" on the basics of hydrocephalus, he cheerfully switched gears and started talking about some of the "more advanced" stuff with us.
- He reviewed the MRI with us, patiently walking us through every detail.
- He gave thoughtful and reasoned answers to our questions.
- He took a genuine interest in our plans to have a cord blood transfusion done at Duke, and even gave us his personal email address so that we could contact him and share the results of our consultation next week.
As with our pediatric neurosurgeon, this doctor makes us feel cared for, not just "treated." I am looking forward to working with him after Miss. Claire makes her grand entrance, although I still hope and pray that we won't have to see him very often.
* * *
On another note, there was a little bit of "bad" news today at the neurologist's office. A nurse took my vitals and weight before we met with the doctor. Why anyone thought it was necessary to weigh me, at 6 months pregnant, while I was there for a consult about what my hydrocephalic child can expect when she is born, I'll never know. Nevertheless, when the nurse instructed me to get on the scale, I obeyed.
I wish I wouldn't have.
I have gained 10 pounds since my last weigh-in, four weeks ago, at my 20-week OB visit. So much for my "pound a week" track record. Sadly, I know exactly where those 10 pounds came from:
- Ben & Jerry's with Kristen after the Georgia / Arkansas game in Athens
- Candy corn that my neighbor, Teri, bought for me after I confessed that I loved the stuff
- An entire plate of cannoli that I bought at the Garden Hills ICS fundraiser (for a good cause)
- A package of Dare maple cookies that I grabbed while Brad and I were at Publix picking up oyster crackers, and
- The cupcakes I've been buying at Metrofresh.
Enough is enough! Starting today, no more sweets. Okay, maybe just once a week.
I remember all of these things that you are going through. I keep checking back to see how Claire is doing!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you have Doctors that you really like! It makes such a difference! Your list of sweets is making me hungry :) Enjoy your pregnancy, even if it does mean cupcakes and cannoli! :)
ReplyDeleteYea! Finally a doctor that is positive!
ReplyDeleteLove it!
Much love from Parker and I!
Our Pediatric Neurologist is the one doctor that I LOVE!! He explains everything thoroughly!
ReplyDeleteI gained ALL my weight during the second trimester - I could not stay away from sugar! ...And, I still can't.