With Thanksgiving around the corner, I have been thinking about the things that I am thankful for. Like most people, family and friends are at the top of my list. This weekend, I was reminded of just how wonderful my family and friends are, as my sisters-in-law (Becky and Lucy) hosted a baby shower for little Claire.
As some of you may know, I moved to Georgia ten years ago from Winnipeg, Canada, to be closer to a funny, good-natured, big-hearted guy named Brad, who wasn't too hard on the eyes. At the time, Brad and I had been dating for a year, and both of us had made several trips back and forth between Canada and Georgia.
Though it was easy for me to "take the plunge" and move to Georgia, it was hard for me to leave my incredible group of friends and my wonderful family behind. I knew no one in Georgia besides Brad and his family.
Brad's sister, Becky, became my first friend. Like me, Becky loves the sun, and with our schedules at the time (she, a student, and I a fresh college grad on the hunt for my first job), we spent countless carefree afternoons by the pool listening to Matchbox 20 and Christina Aguilera. While our friendship came about somewhat by "default," I am certain that she and I would be close friends even without the familial connection. She is easily one of the nicest, most selfless people I know.
A few months later, along came Lucy. I met Lucy when she started dating, and eventually married, Brad's twin brother, Chad. Although our husbands are identical in every way, Lucy and I are very different: She is a true Southern Belle with charm, great manners and a knack for style; I am a Canadian who could only hope to be all of those things. Our relationship has developed over time, and I am truly grateful for her friendship.
Through the years, I have come to know Lucy's family - her mother, Jean, and her sisters, Laura and Lisa. I have also come to know Becky's mother-in-law, Sharon. We have spent countless birthdays, graduations, Thanksgivings and Christmases together, and they have become like a second family to me.
I have also grown closer to my talented mother-in-law, Nancy, who is a gifted writer and motivational speaker. She has been incredibly supportive throughout my pregnancy, and although Claire will be her fifth grandchild, she has made it clear through her actions and words that Claire holds a special place in her heart.
Six years ago, I met Shay, who is equal parts funny and kind. Despite her very busy life, she somehow manages to keep it all together and keep everything in perspective.
Yesterday, these wonderful women came together to throw an unforgettable baby shower. In addition to Becky, Lucy, Jean, Lisa, Sharon, Nancy, and Shay, I am thankful for all of my friends who took time out of their Saturday schedules to come to the baby shower, and I absolutely love all of the gifts they gave little Claire.
Most of all, I am thankful for the outpouring of love and support that each of my family members and friends has shown since Brad and I learned of Claire's diagnosis. We continue to meet new friends each day, and in many ways, our lives have never felt richer. While we continue to pray for Claire to be well, we know that no matter what the outcome, she will come into this world surrounded by love. Somehow, that seems like the best gift of all.
Love is definitely the best gift you can give a child. Glad you had a wonderful baby shower.
ReplyDeleteBrad has an identical twin?? I want to see pictures of the two of them together. :) :)
ReplyDeleteSince you are Canadian turned southerner, Mike wants to know if you've ever used the word "eh" and "y'all" in the same sentence?? :)
Cayman made me miss my baby shower. She decided to put me into labor earlier than we all expected. So off to the hospital I went to deliver her instead. She was my favorite gift I received that day. :)
Awesome story and that is sooo cool Brad is a twin! I agree with Kristen..pictures please!!! Amy, I have Canadian background as well...so cool!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see picture of the shower.
God bless!
Love,
Amie