It has been a while since I last posted an update, and as you can imagine, a LOT has happened. Claire was born on January 5, 2011 at 11:43 a.m. Though she came quietly into the world (with nothing more than a slight whimper) her APGAR scores were 9 and 10. (APGAR is a test given to all newborns 1 minute and 5 minutes after birth that assesses their overall health and vital signs. As I later learned, few babies score a perfect 10, so even in the first minutes of her life, Claire managed to amaze everyone!)
Over the past 10 days, Claire has had more tests than some people have in their lives: An echocardiogram a kidney ultrasound, two CT scans, an MRI, and an EEG. Here's how each of those turned out:
Claire's Heart (Echocardiogram)
The echocardiogram revealed that Claire's heart is perfectly normal! Yay! Although we had never seen a problem with Claire's heart on any previous ultrasounds, with her brain and kidney issues, doctors wanted to double and triple check it just to be sure. Often, when doctors see more than one anomaly in a baby, they begin to suspect a syndrome, and since many syndromes include heart defects, it makes sense to take a look at the heart to see if there is anything amiss. Luckily, Claire's little ticker works just fine! This doesn't mean that Claire does not have a syndrome; it just means that doctors feel more comfortable ruling out the syndromes that include heart defects.
Claire's Kidneys (Kidney Ultrasound)
The kidney ultrasound confirmed that Claire has only one working kidney. The other kidney has cysts on it and stopped working a long time
ago. The good news is that people can live with just one kidney, as long as they take good care of it. The other bit of good news is that doctors see no reason to take out Claire's non-working kidney at this time. I'm so glad - one less surgery for our Claire bear!
Claire's Brain (MRI, CT scan, EEG)
A lot is going on with little Claire's brain. As planned, Claire had surgery on her second day of life to place a shunt in her brain. The shunt will drain the excess fluid from her brain into her abdominal cavity, where she will be able to excrete it. She will have the shunt for life. So
far, it is working well! We have already seen a decrease in her head circumference, and a CT scan shows her brain
matter has started to expand. We hope and pray that her little brain continues to grow!
Up until Monday night, Claire was doing incredibly well and was surpassing all expectations -
she was taking food from a bottle, was breathing on her own, and appeared very active and alert. Unfortunately, on
Monday night, her nurse saw what he thought was a seizure, so doctors decided to do an EEG study. Claire was hooked up to an EEG machine on Tuesday, January 11th, and between Tuesday and today (Saturday), a neurologist monitored her brain activity and determined that Claire has been having short "silent" seizures. The seizures typically last less than one minute, and Claire shows no outward signs
of having a seizure - she does not stop breathing and is still responsive to the environment around her. The neurologist tried four different medications to try to control thr seizures, but none of them worked. Today, the neurologist decided that further attempts
to control the seizures would be too aggressive (they would involve fully sedating her and
placing her on a ventilator), so we have decided to "wait and see.".
Sadly, the neurologist also suggested that Claire's seizures may be caused by a brain malformation called Polymicrogyria, a condition where the brain has too many small folds. He showed us Claire's MRI and pointed to a spot where he saw what appeared to be too many small folds, but then he told us that it is difficult to tell if she has this condition at this point, since her brain is so compressed and may change as it fluffs out. We really hope and pray that it does and that once it is done "fluffing" it will look and act like a normal brain, with no malformations.
As you can probably tell, the past 10 days in the NICU have been quite the roller coaster. We are ready to go home, although we don't know when that will be. As I understand, Claire will need to work on her feeding and be able to keep her breathing in check before she will be released. This has been more of a challenge since she was placed on seizure medications, which make her drowsy and slow her breathing. Luckily, Claire has had sone wonderful doctors and nurses that are helping her get there. And, of course, her mommy and daddy continue to live and support her and will do whatever it takes to make sure she has the best outcome possible. She is such a sweet little girl and deserves the best!
Amy, Thank you for providing this thorough update. I am glad she has a good ticker, and one kidney is not so bad. I am glad the shunt is working (How interesting that is sends the fluid to the abs.. very cool..)
ReplyDeleteLet's get that girl fluffy! I am sure you three will be home in no time - teaching her to tie her shoes, helping her with homework, and proudly helping her pin her flowers on for prom.
:-) Think forward, and remember, this is just part of the process.
Praise God you were (semi) prepared for this. Imagine a mother without insurance or proper prenatal care...
You two are blessed! :-)
I sure have been following closely every update on here and facebook...and it's taken me back to our NICU days. You said it well...what a roller coaster.
ReplyDeleteClaire could not be anymore adorable. And the flawless love you and Brad have for her is just beautiful to watch. What a sweet family you guys are and I feel so lucky to "know" you!
Our prayers continue to be with you.
I'm so so happy to hear all this great news! I've been thinking of you three so much, and am just thrilled to hear Claire is happily eating and breathing and getting to know you guys. I'm sending on lots of thoughts for a nice "fluffy" brain and a safe and soon return back to Atlanta. I can't wait to meet her!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of a baby getting a 10 on their apgar's! Claire is truly amazing. :) I have a number of friends whose children have polymicrogyria. It's good to hear that her shunt is helping, her one kidney is working, and her heart is great! That all sounds good. I hope she continues to amaze everyone.
ReplyDeleteClaire definitely deserves the best and as her parents I can tell you are giving her the best. You are such wonderful parents. I am glad that you are allowing us to join you in your journey and that we can offer as much support through prayer, because I have been praying every day for the three of you.
ReplyDeleteJust finished catching up with Claire :) I just watched the new video as well. She is so incredibly precious. It is truly amazing to see how God places these extraordinary children with the perfect parents. Praying your days in the NICU are coming to an end and you can start your new life at home as a family :)
ReplyDeleteAhh...the NICU rollercoaster...how I hate thee.. That describes it perfectly. I am so glad you are getting some answers; and am praying for your NICU stay to be over soon. I'm praying for good feedings, good breathing and NO seizures :) Take care you guys! Praying for you to get off the NICU roller coaster SOOn!!
ReplyDeleteClaire sure is a beauty!!
Congratulations and happy birthday Claire!
ReplyDeleteI have been following your progress for several months from the UK, since my daughter's baby (due 03 March) had high vent measurements at 20 weeks scan. She has now got normal measurements and hopefully everything will be ok. But I have been thinking of you and sending my prayers. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us
Congratulations, my daughter was born with hydrocheplaus, it was found in my 35weeks of prenancy,a c-section was done, she spend 3months in the hosiptal,a shunt put in a few weeks old, have had a g-tude(feeding tube)put in for 4yrs. Now she's 5yrs old and in kindergarten, she's healthy and happy. Put everything in your higher power all things are possible with him.
ReplyDelete