Thursday, September 22, 2011

Third Infusion

We traveled to Duke earlier this week for Claire's third stem cell infusion. It was a wonderful trip! Our friends, the McGuigans, were kind enough to open their home to us and let us stay with them. They were so hospitable, and they went to great lengths to make us feel right at home!


We were also able to see many of our NICU peeps, including some of our favorite nurses: Kristi, Sheela, Shumana, Cristine, Caroline, Shawnna, and Janine, some of the NICU staff, social workers, and patient resources corrdinators, and, of course, Claire's Neurosurgeon, Dr. Grant.


On "infusion day," we were lucky to meet up with some of our "old" Hydro friends, Owen and his mom, Michelle, and our "new" Hydro friends, Susan, Morris, and baby Kathlyn. We also met Miss. North Carolina, who happened to be on an "official visit" to the Duke Children's Hospital. I don't think Brad enjoyed talking to her at all. ; )


Best of all was the news that we have enough stem cells for a 4th infusion!! I think we might be the first hydro family who has been lucky enough to have enough cells for four infusions. (I could be wrong, though.) I feel so very, very blessed because some families I've met have been unable to save their cord blood, and others have barely had enough for one infusion.

It has been just two days since Claire's infusion, and already we are noticing small differences. She seems more alert and aware of her surroundings, and she seems to turn her head towards sound more consistently. She has also been even more vocal and has been making new and different sounds. (Still no "da-da" or "ba-ba," but we've heard some "wa-ahs" and "eee-ahs.")

I am so excited to see these small but subtle changes in her, and I can't wait to see even more (I hope!)

Below are some pictures from our recent visit. The high-quality ones are courtesy of our friend, Michelle. (I'm so grateful she brings her camera to our meetings - without her, I would have no pictures of our get-togethers!!)



Claire with Dr. Grant, the Neurosurgeon who placed her shunt.



Miss. North Carolina meets the future Miss Georgia!



Claire sleeping it off post-infusion.



Hydro friends, Kahlyn, Owen, and Claire.



Love that smile! (Owen has that effect on the ladies!)



Claire with Michelle and Owen















2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! I love reading your blog. Our Aurelia gets to have a fourth infusion too and we are thrilled! Can't wait to see what outcomes you see from Claire's 3rd infusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 4 batches of cells! That's incredible. If i remember correctly cayman has two more, a total of 3.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...