Thursday, September 8, 2011

Three Cheers for Pom Poms!


Claire has a new toy. No, it's not a doll. It's not a rattle. It's not a stuffed animal. It's a $2.00 mylar pom pom set. While it's true that kids play with anything, when we buy toys for Claire, they have a purpose (at least, most of the time!).



In this case, Claire's vision teacher, Ms. Anne, recommended that we buy some mylar pom poms for Claire to help stimulate her vision. Boy, does Ms. Anne know what she's talking about! The pom poms have been great for Claire, and she absolutely loves them! She loves running her fingers through them, listening to the rustling noise they make when we shake them, and looking at the shiny material. What is more, Brad swears that she actually sees things better after she spends some time looking at them. I can't think of a better use for my $2.00!

In other news, Claire has been attending a weekly music therapy class called "Wake Up and Sing!" at the Center for the Visually Impaired (CVI), the same place where she receives vision therapy from Ms. Anne. So far, she loves it! (And so do we!) The class is open to all infants and toddlers who participate in CVI's BEGIN program. It is led by Ms. Jacque, a vision teacher and extraordinary musician, and Ms. Memri, a family counselor. It has been so nice to meet other families of children with special needs, and I have enjoyed watching Claire respond to the music. She is so cute when she notices the drum, and I get so excited when she moves her hands to touch it! I also love watching her respond to the guitar, and we have a ton of fun singing to her! The only danger of attending music therapy, unfortunately, is that I often spend the afternoon singing songs like "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" to myself. Kind of embarrassing when I'm walking the halls of my office humming children's songs, but well worth the funny looks I get!

1 comment:

  1. Glad she is enjoying all of those fun things! Hope Claire continues to do wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...