Monday, April 1, 2013

Uh, Happy Easter?

This Easter was . . . interesting.

If you're a friend on Facebook or follow me on Instagram, you probably thought I was losing my mind.    One minute, I was posting a photo showing a smiling, happy Claire, and the next, I was commenting about how crabby and grumpy Claire was.  The truth is, that's kind of how our Easter went.

Claire is teething right now, plus she seems to be going through her terrible twos.  Add candy to the mix, and you have a moody, emotional child!

Still, we had a great time!  We traveled to Brad's parents' house to spend the weekend with them.  The Easter Bunny appears to have followed us there, because Claire's Easter Basket was brimming with goodies:



Among the gifts filling Claire's Easter basket were:

  • Strawberry flavored Lip Smacker lip gloss.  (Ever since Christmas, when Santa brought her some mint chap stick, Claire has really been enjoying flavored lip glosses.  Her collection so far includes Watermelon, "Ice Cream Cake," and now Strawberry.)
  • Pacifiers  
  • A Fancy Nancy book
  • G-Tube covers
  • A g-tube backpack to carry her feeding pump
  • New outfits
  • Bubbles
  • Fun dip
The last item--Fun Dip--was my attempt at finding Easter candy that Claire could eat. Since she still is developing the coordination to be able to chew and swallow chunky foods, chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs were out of the question.  When I spotted the Easter-themed Fun Dip, I knew I had to get some for Claire. 

Little did I realize that Fun Dip is the Devil's Candy.  More on that in a sec. 


Our Easter morning started like this:  



Claire sleeping sweetly in her Nap Nanny.  We were hoping to go to church, but Claire's teething brought on seizures, and we had to give her a Klonopin to calm her down.  This was the result, a sleeping, sweet Claire.

Unfortunately, that meant she really had no interest in her Easter basket.

Then, when she finally woke up from her morning nap, she was grumpy and crabby--that is, until Brad's dad picked up his guitar and started playing a sweet song just for her.


Through the rest of the afternoon, Claire enjoyed some Fun Dip and even tried some Starburst jelly beans in her baby safe feeder.  She seemed to be in heaven as she licked her jellybeans and watched The Little Mermaid.


The moment the movie went off, however, she had a bona fide temper tantrum.  One of the worst I have seen.  Crying and yelling, kicking and fussing.  It was quite the sight!  Pitiful and adorable at the same time.

After she calmed down, I made note of a few lessons I had learned that day:

1.  Claire will never get Fun Dip ever again.
2.  Special needs parents are not exempt from the Terrible Twos.  (We should be, though, right?!)
3.  An Easter basked full of goodies is quickly forgotten by a two year-old who just wants to keep watching Ariel, darn it.

Despite as it may seem, our interesting Easter was actually quite enjoyable.  It's nice to see Claire show her little personality, even if that means dealing with an ornery, crabby child.

Happy Easter, y'all!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...