As you may have guessed, Claire did not arrive on December 20th, as anticipated. Her lungs were really immature, so she's just not ready for the world. (Out of a "passing" score of 50, Claire's lungs scored a 12. A member of the G-G household has not done so poorly on a test since I took Physics in Grade 9!)
Our back-up plan, developed while I was still under the influence of Ativan, which was given to me so that I would be able to tolerate the amnio, is to follow-up with our Duke OB on December 28th to check head measurements, the amount of fluid on Claire's brain, and the amount of brain tissue visible. If the measurements aren't too much larger, our Duke OB said he will plan to deliver on January 10th, when I am 38 weeks.
I hate waiting until January 10th, since I am eager to start treating Claire's condition, and I think the main reason for the wait is to accommodate my OB's vacation schedule. Still, I have to be flattered by the amount of interest and ownership he has taken in my pregnancy. There is nothing like having the head of OB-GYN for all of Duke University want to deliver your baby!
Since I now have had a week to mull things over, I have decided to ask my Duke OB at my follow-up visit if he will consider delivering sometime this week (or at least checking again for lung maturity). I hope he agrees to my proposal, otherwise I may have to resort to tearful begging.
In the meantime, Brad and I are staying in Durham, just in case I go into labor early. We are both trying to work remotely, but with all of our clients/customers on vacation, things have been much quieter than usual, which has made our wait seem that much longer.
On a positive note, Brad and I have been able to spend more time together in the past week than we had in the past year and have done things that we would not have had the opportunity to do had Claire been born on December 20th. We have been to the movies twice, shopped for Christmas presents at Fearrington Village, near Chapel Hill, attended Christmas Eve services at the Duke University Chapel, and spent Christmas day with a wonderful family from the church that maintains the apartment in which we are staying. Good times, but I am ready for Claire to get here. Any day now, kiddo.
Our back-up plan, developed while I was still under the influence of Ativan, which was given to me so that I would be able to tolerate the amnio, is to follow-up with our Duke OB on December 28th to check head measurements, the amount of fluid on Claire's brain, and the amount of brain tissue visible. If the measurements aren't too much larger, our Duke OB said he will plan to deliver on January 10th, when I am 38 weeks.
I hate waiting until January 10th, since I am eager to start treating Claire's condition, and I think the main reason for the wait is to accommodate my OB's vacation schedule. Still, I have to be flattered by the amount of interest and ownership he has taken in my pregnancy. There is nothing like having the head of OB-GYN for all of Duke University want to deliver your baby!
Since I now have had a week to mull things over, I have decided to ask my Duke OB at my follow-up visit if he will consider delivering sometime this week (or at least checking again for lung maturity). I hope he agrees to my proposal, otherwise I may have to resort to tearful begging.
In the meantime, Brad and I are staying in Durham, just in case I go into labor early. We are both trying to work remotely, but with all of our clients/customers on vacation, things have been much quieter than usual, which has made our wait seem that much longer.
On a positive note, Brad and I have been able to spend more time together in the past week than we had in the past year and have done things that we would not have had the opportunity to do had Claire been born on December 20th. We have been to the movies twice, shopped for Christmas presents at Fearrington Village, near Chapel Hill, attended Christmas Eve services at the Duke University Chapel, and spent Christmas day with a wonderful family from the church that maintains the apartment in which we are staying. Good times, but I am ready for Claire to get here. Any day now, kiddo.
We hope it comes soon for you. Waiting like this is exhausting. Each time we have prayed for you we do recognize that while God's timing may not always match our ideals, it does always seem to be perfect. And that is what we are trusting Him for in Claire's case. But we have also put in some begging to push things along as quickly as possible. ;)
ReplyDeleteSuch a difficult place to be in, I remember it oh so well- you want your little girl out to start helping her heal, but it's best for her to stay in for now. It's an agonizing wait, and I couldn't imagine doing it away from home. I have thought of you often this last week and will continue to send prayers. But I'm with you, checking to see if things could be moved up a little would be nice ;) Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThe time WILL come when you meet Claire. God knows what is best even if we question him sometimes. I continue to pray to send prayers your way.
ReplyDelete