Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Wishful Thinking

We had our follow-up appointment with our Duke OB yesterday. Claire's head measurements were not considerably larger (her head circumference measured 41-42 cms, and her ventricles measured in the high 50s and 30s). As a result, our OB recommended that we stick with our "original" back-up plan and deliver on January 10th, when I will be 38 weeks pregnant.



I asked nicely about doing an amnio this week, and he agreed to do it as long as I was up for it. I don't know if anyone is ever "up" for an amnio, but I'm willing to give it a try, just in case Claire's lungs are mature. For those of you keeping track, this will make three amnios over the past four months. I am getting quite good at them.



Our OB was skeptical about Claire's lungs being mature, given how low she scored on her lung maturity test just 10 days ago. Brad and I also realize that her lungs probably won't be ready, but we don't want to miss an opportunity. We would like to move forward and start treating Claire's hydrocephalus as soon as possible. We are also getting tired of waiting. While we have enjoyed our time in Durham, it has been excruciating to be away from home for so long with no real end in sight.


So, please send good thoughts and prayers our way tomorrow morning. Here's to hoping Claire surprises us all!

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried the museum of Life and Sciences? It's very near the hospital and is good for whiling away a few hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! Forever, my OB talked about delivering Elisabeth at 36 weeks...and then, shortly beforehand, they decided to bump it to 38. It was like torture having to wait out those extra couple weeks....I was so ready to 'get the show on the road' (if you know what I mean).

    I'll hope that the amnio brings promising news....and that if you do have to wait it out to the 10th, that the time we go quickly.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 2 amnios so I know how you feel. If you make it past the first one, the other(s) don't feel so bad (well maybe just a little). I will be praying that her lungs are more matured and that you don't have to wait til the 10th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My OB didn't want to deliver Cayman until 38 weeks. I remember that feeling. My mind raced with thoughts of all the other hydro babies I was aware of at that time that were delivered earlier than that and I was worried and convinced 38 was too long to wait!! Cayman eventually decided her own timed arrival at 37 weeks and 3 days when she put me into labor. We joked that she felt waiting four more days to week 38 was too long too. :) And I hope Claire does surprise you all as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thinking about you and miss Claire! hope she makes her entrance soon- and hope you all get a bit of rest in the meantime. sending on lots of good thoughts-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...