
Tonight we had a very special visit from our friend Kim and her son William. To her friends and loved ones, Kim is known as "Kim Possible" after the superhero and cartoon character. Her nickname suits her well: She is simply amazing.
By day, Kim is an elementary school teacher. Because she likes children so much, Kim also spends a few weekends a month working at Pottery Barn Kids.
We met Kim in a way that makes me a strong believer in fate. One Saturday a few weeks after we learned of Claire's diagnosis, we headed to the mall to get Brad's watch fixed. When we arrived there, Brad's watch started working again. We thought about returning home, since the purpose of our trip had been accomplished. Having nothing better to do with our day, however, we ultimately decided to stay and walk around.
At first, we were hesitant to go into Pottery Barn Kids. Before learning of Claire's diagnosis, I had spent hours on potterybarnkids.com looking at nursery decor. I had picked out several bedding sets that I liked and had begun thinking about cribs, changing tables, bookshelves, and gliders. With the uncertainty of Claire's future weighing heavily on my heart - we had been told by doctors that Claire could be stillborn and may not live past the neonatal period - I was afraid of making any plans for Claire's future. I thought about how painful it would be to have to return items, unopened and unused, five months in the future if our worst fears were to come true. Still, I couldn't help myself.
Walking into the store, we were surrounded by moms to be, beaming with pride and brimming with excitement as they planned their dream nurseries. I was envious of their oblivion, jealous of their ability to enjoy their pregnancies without being burdened by thoughts of their child's mortality.
Just as I was wondering "why me," Kim approached me and asked if I was interested in starting a registry.
"No, thank you," I replied, trying to muster a polite smile.
"But every child needs a nursery," Kim offered.
As kind as she was, I felt as though I owed it to Kim to explain why I wasn't interested in registering. I sat down in one of the comfy gliders on floor display and told her all about Claire - about her diagnosis, about the doctors' prognoses, and about our own fears and worries. I probaby gave her more information than is socially acceptable to share with a perfect stranger, but somehow, it just felt like the right thing to do.
Kim smiled warmly and said, "I have a congenital heart defect. When I was born, my parents were told I wouldn't live to be three months old, and if I did, I would never make it past a year. I'm forty-one years old, and I'm still here." She proceeded to share her story with me.
Thanks to Kim, I decided that day that I owed it to Claire to enjoy my pregnancy and to plan for her future. I registered for a beautiful nursery bedding set, a handsome crib and changing table, and a comfy glider. I started making plans for her and celebrating every moment of her existence.
Since that day, my friendship with Kim has grown. She affectionately calls Claire "Claire Possible," reminding me that Claire already has (and will continue to) exceed all expectations. She has showered Claire with beautiful gifts and made her homecoming extra-special by putting pink balloons on our mailbox the day Claire was released from Duke.
You can see why Kim's visit today was extra special. Kim Possible met Claire Possible. I hope it will be the first of many such meetings.
I can never thank Kim enough for all she has done for Claire and for our family. Perhaps Claire can help us repay our debt of gratitude in snuggles.
Wow! Kim really is a "meant to be" friend. This blog brought tears to my eyes just thinking about all the horrible prognosis that you had to face. I rejoice in the fact that we can all now celebrate Claire, and all that she is, and all that she will be. Although I may never meet Kim in person, I am thankful that you have met her. She was the person that you needed to meet that day. Angels really do walk amongst us.
ReplyDeleteAmy.. you are an amazing story teller. I am truly happy for you. May God bless you always!
ReplyDeleteAngels are everywhere! What a wonderful story. Isn't it amazing how God can use seemingly "random" people to completely change your life?
ReplyDeleteKim sent this to me because she was blessed by your blog post. I am Kim's best friend Lisa. Believe me when I say that Kim is one of a kind, and anyone who has the privilege of meeting her is very blessed in deed. I have heard all about Baby Claire, and the journey you, and your husband went through to have such a precious baby.
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing such a beautiful post of a person who I know is an angel. God put her in your life, just as much as he put you, and your family in hers.
God Bless you.
What a great story. God is definitely everywhere and sent an angel to you that day. Kim sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteHi Claire
ReplyDeleteMy name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a brave courageous fighter and hero. U are so full of smiles. I was born with a rare life threatening bone disease. The doctors told my parents I wouldn't live, and they also said If I did I won't live that long. Well even though they still say I won't live to my next birthday which is in March, I am proving them wrong! Just like Claire and your friend Kim, we are all Miracles! We will all touch lives of others. We all have a special gift.
My site: http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com