Claire at her GI appointment yesterday.
Since we both have colds, we had to wear masks, as a courtesy to other patients.
Doesn't she look cute?!
So, yesterday, Claire had an appointment with her GI doctor. I sort of assumed it would be a routine office visit, just to check on Claire's g-tube, since we have been trucking along nicely since she got it a year ago.
Unfortunately, it proved to be a little more complicated than that.
As it turns out, Claire isn't gaining weight. As a result, we now have to abide by a more regimented feeding schedule. This wouldn't be so bad, except that Claire has shown us she doesn't like to over-eat. When she gets full, she lets us know by fussing and crying. With her new schedule, we will have to feed her more than she may want to eat. We may have to let her fuss and cry (though not too much) in the name of weight gain.
You parents of typical children can probably all identify with our situation. I'm sure at least some of you have had to face picky eaters. It's not fun (from what I have seen). This is really no different, except that instead of coaxing Claire to finish "five more bites," we will be calming her down as the food enters her belly.
I left the GI appointment feeling a little down. It stressed me out to think that we had to start being regimented about feeding. I'm regimented all day at work--when I am done for the day, I want nothing more than to relax and enjoy family time with Claire.
Plus, it kind of feels like a knock on your parenting skills when a doctor has to tell you how to feed your child.
But then I remembered that these things will only be stressful if I let them. And with that, I let it go.
So, yes, it's not always rainbows and butterflies --- there are times where it is easy to feel frustrated or disheartened --- but I've decided that if I choose to live in that frustration, I'll be doing no one any favors.
Now, where did I leave my butterfly net?

No comments:
Post a Comment