After one night at home, we are back in the hospital. Strange as it may sound, I'm actually happy about it. Let me explain.
Earlier this evening, we received a phone call from Claire's pediatrician. The results from a blood culture drawn on Tuesday finallycame in, and it turns out that Claire has an infection. The urine culture results came an hour later and confirmed the blood culture results. We were told to head straight to the ER, which we did.
Why are we so happy? Because we finally know what is wrong with Claire. Or, at least, we *think* we know.
The doctors have been talking about hitting her with some strong IV antibiotics over the next several days, then placing a PICC line to replace the IV and allow for easy access to Claire's veins. With all of the sticking Claire has had over the past three weeks, we agree she needs a PICC line. Her little arms are black and blue and purple and green, and even some of the best IV nurses at CHOA at Scottish Rite felt there were few places they had left to stick her.
We are settling in, because it looks like we will be here for a while. (As in: I hope the cafeteria serves turkey!) I don't mind, though. Anything to get my little monka-doodle back.
I came across your blog while i was researching hydrocephalus, my baby was diagnosed around 36 weeks with congenital hydro, hes only 7 weeks old and going in for his 3rd surgery due to a Chung infection. I'm glad i came across your blog, i will keep your daughter in our prayers. Btw your not the only one spending thanksgiving in the hospita.
ReplyDeleteSorry meant to say shunt*
ReplyDeleteAnswers are good, real good! I hope this is the root of it and those smiles will be returning soon. I wish you didn't have to be there for Thanksgiving. But a feeling better Claire in the hospital will make you happier than a miserable, sick Claire at the family's Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteI am thankful that you finally have some answers.
ReplyDelete