Monday, April 11, 2011

Seizures Suck

We need your prayers more than ever these days, I'm afraid. After four wonderful weeks of seizure freedom, Claire's seizures have returned. It all started the Friday before last, when I saw Claire do what I thought was reaching for a toy. My first instinct was "oh, my goodness, she's reaching!" As I looked closer, however, I noticed that her reaching looked pretty rhythmic. Yep. It was a seizure. It only lasted about 10 seconds, but it was the longest 10 seconds of my life. She had another seizure that afternoon, so we called her neurologist, who upp'ed the dosage of one of her medications. We then had another two glorious days of seizure-freedom (Saturday and Sunday) before they came back again on Monday. Poo. Another change in dosage was ordered, and we waited. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday saw no improvement in her seizure activity. She averaged about 5-7 each day, each about 10 seconds long. Her meds were upp'ed again on Friday, and again on Saturday. We have only seen 1 seizure per day since Saturday. That's what we call progress. Over the weekend, we also saw some her make some strange movements that I thought could be infantile spasms. Infantile spasms sound harmless, but they are a catastrophic form of epilepsy, characterized by small jerks and movements that occur in clusters. After looking at some videos on youtube, I was convinced that the movements I was seeing in Claire were infantile spasms. When lying on her back, Claire spreads her arms to her sides and cries out loudly, looking startled. She also tends to flex her legs and get really tense shortly after waking up. We have also seen a plateau in her progress. She is tracking less, and she is not making any progress in lifting her head during tummy time. She also seems less aware of her surroundings from time to time. She doesn't always focus on my face (or Brad's face for that matter), and sometimes she just stares off in the distance. Against this set of circumstances, I called Claire's neurologist first thing Monday morning (today), and luckily, he was able to fit us in for a 1 hour EEG. The EEG showed that Claire did not have the EEG pattern associated with infantile spasms (the pattern is called hypsarrythmia), so we feel very grateful. However, during the EEG, Claire exhibited some of the strange movements that prompted my concern in the first place, and the neurologist has indicated that he would like to explore these further. So, now we are left to wait . . . waiting until the EEG is formally "read" to determine what these movements might be, and waiting to hear back from the neurologist, who will tell us if he thinks further investigation is necessary. He suggested today that we will most likely do a longer, video-monitored EEG for Claire, in order to really see what is going on inside that pretty little head of hers. Now, more than ever, we need your prayers.

9 comments:

  1. Infantile spasms sound so scary. I'm always on edge about seizures. I can not describe how bad I feel for you and Claire. I'm just praying that you all wake up one day and the seizures are completely gone. Preferably, that day being today! We love you guys, sending our support and love, and of course, always our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying with so much love and earnestness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continued prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for Claire and for you. We hope they find out what is going on and can fix it easily and quickly. Have they considered checking her shunt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have checked,re-checked, and re-re-checked her shunt, and unfortunately it's not the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that she does not have IS, but I hope they can determine for sure what the episodes are. Seizures are so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers and love to your family! We have faith in you, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for Beautiful Little Claire and special prayers for her Wonderful Mommy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...