Growing up in a time when video games were "new," I remember much grumbling from my parents and others who felt they were a waste of time. They feared those games would deprive children of the rich experiences they had enjoyed in their own childhood--like playing outside, interacting with others, and using their imaginations.
True, the video games of my childhood largely were a waste of time--what is to be gained, for example, from saving a princess from a dragon by hitting A + B + up on a control pad repeatedly for hours on end?! I can't tell you how many times my parents encouraged me to "quit playing 'those video games'"--and they were probably right!
But video games have come a long way since then, and nowadays, there are many educational games that teach children skills--like sharing, counting, and turn-taking. These games have become increasingly invaluable to Claire, as many are mouse-activated and help her learn to use her switch.
Recently, she has been interested in "Daniel Tiger," the character of Mr. Rogers fame, who now has his own show. This is what her nanny said about her yesterday:
I love that video games give Claire access to the world! I love that they are teaching her skills--like how to manipulate her switch differently for different outcomes. I love that she appears to enjoy them!
So, Claire, keep playing "those video games!" Keep learning! Keep building your skills! Keep enjoying the fun!
Claire hitting her switch (the yellow thing next to her head) to play Daniel Tiger's Tea Party on my computer.
A screen shot of Daniel Tiger's Tea Party. By hitting her switch, Claire can pour tea for herself and others, drink tea, serve cookies, eat cookies, and make other characters talk. You'll notice her plate does not have a cookie on it. You can guess what she enjoyed doing most during the game!


No comments:
Post a Comment