Wednesday, June 29, 2011

iPad Baby


I've been reading up on iPad apps for children with special needs, and I decided I would give a few a try with Claire.

Last Sunday, we downloaded a Curious George iBook, and we "read" the book together.

Tonight, we tried a different app, called Noby Noby Boy. The app is a strange mixture of crude animation and imaginative creatures, but somehow it seems perfect for Claire. The colorful creatures are set against a black background, so the contrast stimulates her vision. The creatures "do things" when you touch the screen, teaching Claire cause and effect and hopefully encouraging her to use her arms and hands.

Claire might be too little to really understand what she is doing, but I figured it's never too early to start.

Here's a video of Claire "playing" Noby Noby Boy. I think someone's having fun, don't you?

Don't mind our cat walking through the video . . . he wanted "in" on the action. And yes, those are Claire's happy sounds.








5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!!!! Go Claire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that is so awesome! Makes me anxious to get the ball rolling faster on the application process we have enrolled Cayman in, for a grant that will provide an iPad with the communication app.

    Claire and Cayman are going to get along great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is Katie from Duke NICU. I took care of Claire and occasionally drop by her blog to see how she is doing. I can't view your videos for some reason....but I am so happy to hear that she is developing more and more skills each day and learning to play and interact..how exciting for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie -

    It is great to hear from you. We miss you tons! You were so wonderful with Claire. The video was embedded from Facebook, so maybe you have to be Brad's friend to see it. You can find either one of us on Facebook, and we would be happy to be your friend.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...