First, we stopped at Soul Shoes to give my brother's fiancee her Christmas gift.
We then made our way to the home of some dear family friends who have been quite wonderful to us over the past year and a half. I feel very blessed to have formed a special friendship with our friends' oldest daughter, who I used to babysit when we were both a lot younger. She was born prematurely, and as a result was diagnosed with cerebral palsy when she was just a young child. She is one of the most genuine people I know -- she wears her heart on her sleeve and is so completely honest in everything she says and does. Over the past year, she has offered words of encouragement, kindness, and love. She is a brilliant writer, having studied at Oxford, and because of that, the messages she has sent to me have been so meaningful -- she expresses herself so beautifully that she always seems to touch my heart.
Unfortunately, we spent so much time chatting that I forgot to snap any pictures.
After a nice visit, we headed over to the retirement home where my grandmother lives so that we could squeeze in one last visit.
Claire loved the comfy sofa in the tea room.
My grandmother loved holding Claire.
After our visit, we headed home and partook in a New Year's Eve tradition that my family has engaged in for years and years (ever since I can remember, really): We ate fondue.
It is hard to believe that it is already Saturday, our last full day in Canada. Our trip has flown by so quickly, and although we have managed to pack in a lot of great experiences over the past week, there is still so much more we wish we could do.
With this being the last day of 2011, I also can't help but think about how quickly the past year has flown by. Just one year ago today, Brad and I were ringing in the new year in Durham, waiting patiently for Claire to arrive.
So much has happened in the past year -- so many great experiences (and, unfortunately, many not-so-great ones, too). I feel like a different person, and I think Brad would say the same about himself. I am so grateful for all of the things that have shaped Brad and me over the past year. I can't wait to see what 2012 brings.
Happy New Year, everyone.
Sounds like your trip was marvelous! Happy New Years!
ReplyDelete